Recent Posts

Saturday 29 May 2010

Cheeky monkeys

We left the quiet Bukit penninsula a week ago to travel around the island. Our first stop was Seminyak which is full of expats. The main reason you want to stay there is if you want to get some sun and surf.






After a few days we were ready to go to Ubud which is in the heart of the country and is surrounded by beautiful rice fields and tropic vegetation. It is well known as a place where artists come to live as well as various health and spriritual seekers.
Talking of which it amazes me how quickly my inner hippie comes back to life after smelling a few incense and seeing some ethnic colored bags. Immediately I want to jump back into harem pants and start going back to healers and various clairvoyants. I know most of you are embarassed about this side of me but the girl can't help it.  I mean sometimes all I need is to whiff down to Camden market and I am on fire.

Anyway my day starts with me trying to keep hold of all my belongings so that the monkeys don't steal anything on my way to the sunrise yoga class at the amazing yoga barn.

Yesterday when I arrived back after class all that was left of our breakfast was some sugar. C was a bit chocked after having had a staring game with one monkey who had a baby, let's just say C did not win.The monkeys had taken everything, even the teacups and saucers! They were hanging around the trees checking if I was bringing anything else they could eat.  Apparently they are always many more and cheekier when there is a ceremony coming up, which was today. (How do they know  the Hindu  calendar of ceremonies??). All of a sudden they were all gone though, the reason being that they start work at 9!! All the tourists are arriving at the famous monkey forest sanctuary then, which means they get free bananas in payment for some monkey business.

Yesterday we went on a beautiful rice paddy walk and ended up rained in at a local artist couple's house. They were adorable, and offered us shelter with tea and coffee and a few hours of conversation. Those unexptected moments are one of the best things about traveling.
Is it because we are not time aware and without a schedule that they seem to happen more often than usual?


We ended up eating in the amazing Sari organic where everything has grown and been produced on the spot. I can not rave enough about the food in Ubud. Everything has so much flavour. Wow what a lovely day..

0 comments:

Post a Comment