Recent Posts

Monday 16 August 2010

North tropical Queensland

I The reason why most people head up to the northern part of Queensland is to go to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef, so that is what we did.

Travelling in Australia means covering of course; huge distances, in a car I love it as you can get out and smell the eucalyptus trees whilst watching the amazing wildlife :(8 of the world's most deadliest live here) saltwater crocodiles in the creeks, koalas in the trees, the different species of Kangaroos and Wollabies running across the fields, beautiful parrots and listening to the endless chatter of the Cockatoos. Then find your own spot to watch the sun set. It is not hard to imagine the hard life people living here must have had here not that long time ago. The sandstorms while travelling on horseback whilst trying to find work at farms.... no wonder Australians are seen as quite tough!










In the Whitsundays we sailed on a huge Catamaran, which I am happy we did as it was very windy: 28-30 knots! But after a few hours I started to really enjoy the sailing and spent time up with the skipper trying to understand all the different instruments. I have missed sailing so much since moving to UK and this really reminded me of how passionate about sailing I used to be and that I really need to get back into it when I am home again.
We either snorkelled around a few different islands or went ashore. Unfortunately I can not show you any pictures of the famous Whitehaven beach as the sand is pure silica and damages any electronical equipment that comes into contact with it so I did not bring the camera there.





After some gorgeous and fun days we continued north and drove throught the beautiful atherton table lands and visited some old australian towns and saw platypus swimming in a lake! I have no photos as they emerge at sunset and there was no light. The last few days of our australia trip was spent on mission beach looking for cassawary birds, magnetic island, and then the posh town of port Douglas. Then I had to leave to quickly move out to more islands: Fiji.

0 comments:

Post a Comment