Recent Posts

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Sydney- The perfect city?


Which city is your perfect city? I find it difficult to find faults with Sydney.
 Apart of course from the weather which seems to always be bright and sunny and the beaches; Sydney has so much else to offer.  The people living here seems to be the friendliest I have ever met in a city. I can not bring my map up before someone asks if they can help me and in the shops and restaurants they always ask how my day has been so far and continue with a bit of small talk. How come they all seem so happy? Remember it is winter here...
I am staying in the eastern part: in Darlinghurst which seems to be like Islington, full of warehouses, artists and great cafes. Forgive my comparisons to London but it is the easiest way to get a hang of Sydney.
The first two days was spent just getting to know the city : walking through where the beautiful people hang out: Surry Hills (like Hoxton) and wandering in and out of vintage shops and colorful cafes. By the way, even though I don't really drink coffee, the smells just enraptures me here and I can not stop myself from ordering flat lattes etc. and really: I think it will be very difficult to get a bad tasting coffee on this continent.
I wandered without any map through Woollahra (St john's wood) and was just amazed at all the pretty matching colors and stunning flowering gardens. They are so lucky here, without much frost it means that their flowers can keep flowering all throughout the year. Imagine that!
I took in all the modern architecture of the rich neigbourhood of  Double Bay (Chelsea), listening to the cuckatoos fighting and watched the other beautiful parrots flying around the exotic landscape designed gardens. The days were finished by walking up and down in Paddington (Notting Hill) and meeting up with my lovely friend Sarah in one of the great restaurants. I'll make sure to make a seperate Sydney guide at the bottom of the page in a few days.



Most stunning shopping street in the world? William street in Paddington.




Queen street in Woollahra.




Common architecture in Paddington.







Lovely.

1 comments:

Wil said...

looks just like the great new coffee shop in Berlin called Bonanza Coffee Heros.....check it out when you come to Berlin. Have a great weekend. Love from Vienna. Wil

Post a Comment